Penetration – Central Park Mall, Chippendale
- Client Mainbrace Constructions
- Location Central Park Mall, Chippendale
- Duration 2 months
Our long-term client Mainbrace Constructions engaged Perfect Contracting to deliver a technically challenging penetration project in Central Park Mall at Chippendale.
There were many technical challenges to the project. As this mall is a multi-purpose building with residential housing there were strict noise restrictions to adhere to so noisy works could only be carried out from 7 am to 10 am. Also, the slab was 4 meters from the slab below which meant the design and installation of extensive multi-props to create a catch deck.
Scope of work
- Supply and installation of 16 x 1200 x1200 multi-prop 480 Frames with braces rated at 35kN under the existing beams.
- Supply and installation of 56 x 1200 x1200 multi-prop 480 Frames with braces rated at 20kN under the existing beams.
- Supply and installation of 30 x MP480 Multi-prop rated at 20kN/leg
- Perfect Concrete Care to road saw slab and wire cut beams
- Perfect Contracting to hammer, crush and remove concrete slab
- Retain existing post-tensioned cables in the slab
- Remove and recycle clean concrete and steel
Once the multi-props were installed, the next challenge was the cutting and demolition of the slab. Using two of our Brokk 200 demolition robots which run off 3-phase power eliminates issues of toxic emissions from petrol/diesel powered machines.
Additionally, the added benefit of the Brokk robots is their size-to-power ratio. They are small enough to fit in a three-tonne service elevator but can output the same kJ power as a fifteen-tonne excavator. This allows our operators to hammer and crush through concrete more efficiently while mitigating risks and drastically improving safety.